Friday, July 27, 2012

Writing Outline


I have written many “articles,” but none of them are written well. What does it take to communicate clearly? Communication should be focused on getting a point across without unnecessary words. This article will serve as a resource for me when writing future articles, and it begins with an outline.

  • Planning:
    • Topic: what is it?
    • Audience: who is it for?
    • Purpose: why is it?
    • Scope: how much detail?
  • Knowledge:
    • Internal: what do I already know?
    • External: what research is available?
  • Organization:
    • Brain Dump: get all the ideas down on paper.
    • Order Ideas: combine into an outline.
      • Thesis: The purpose, from planning stage (it evolves)
      • Body: Organized ideas from brain dump phase
      • Conclusion: Restates the thesis, no new information
  • Writing: using the outline, write from point to point until the end.
  • Editing:
    • Content: comparison to outline.
    • Paragraphs:
      • Topic Sentence
      • Main Idea
      • Conclusion/Interpretation
    • Sentences:
      • Length: average in teens, frequent changes
      • Structure: Simple, Compound, Complex
    • Words:
      • Order
      • Choice
      • Cohesion/Location
    • Key terms: keep a similar term for the idea throughout
    • Transitions
    • Condensing:
      • Emphasize important information
      • De-emphasize or omit less important information
      • Replace or omit pointless words and phrases.
    • Reduce intensifiers and hedges
    • Avoid writing in the negative


Whenever I have time to write, I will pick the topic that is most interesting. My audience is my future self. I will do everything I can to communicate clearly and remove assumptions. The articles stop as soon as my point is made, because I respect my readers time.

No comments:

Post a Comment